Wine Clubs are a great way of receiving an ongoing varied selection of wines that will broaden your wine horizons without leaving the comfort of your dining room! They are becoming an increasingly popular service in the States, so there are now many companies offering a wine club service. As a result, it can be quite a challenge working out which is the best wine club service for you and that is where we come in! At The Wine Club Review, we look at all the details of the individual clubs and offer in-depth comparisons and company profiles, which will make your choice so much easier!
In our wine club comparison today, we are looking at Winc and Firstleaf. Winc is all about making your wine experience as easy and enjoyable as possible. They are a Californian based wine club that specializes in Californian wines. Firstleaf is an affordably priced club that offers a personalized experience of tasting award-winning wines from local and global wineries.
So let’s dive into our comparison and show you what is offered by both!
The clubs and available plans:
The Winc wine club is very simple in that your subscription includes delivery of 4 bottles of wine on a monthly basis. You can specify if you would prefer an all red, all white or mixed delivery.
The Firstleaf wine club includes two different steps:
- Introductory Shipment is a box made up of 3 bottles that are picked according to a few simple questions you are asked to begin the personalization service. This shipment also serves to establish your taste profile based on your feedback after tasting the wines. The club also offer the choices of a range of introductory box options such as an Award-winning wine box, Founder’s favorite and Big reds.
- Club Shipments are made up of 6 bottles that have been matched to your profile. If you don’t like a bottle that has been included, you can opt to change this before the box is shipped. The first club shipment will arrive a month after your introductory shipment, and subsequent deliveries can occur monthly, or every second or third month, depending on your preferences.
Who is it for?
Winc is a great choice for those who enjoy Californian wines and who are after a straightforward wine club experience.
Firstleaf is a great wine club for those who want to experience both local and international wines. It suits people who want this sort of experience but would like to reasonably priced and hassle-free.
- Reasonably priced.
- A pleasing selection of Californian wines.
- A personal taste profile ensures that wines are personally matched to you and improve over time with ongoing feedback.
- There is the option to edit your selections.
- For all orders of 12 bottles or more receive an additional 10% off.
Firstleaf wine club:
- A diverse range of international and local wines
- Award winning wines, affordably priced
- Very attractive Introductory shipment
- Ongoing personalization process
- Flexibility to selection delivery ever 1,2 or 3 months, based on your preference
The personalization process:
The Palate Profile is an important part of the Winc wine club service. Your Palate Profile is created by answering a few short questions online and is updated as you submit feedback on future deliveries. Your Palate Profile is designed to be constantly improved resulting in wine choices that are increasingly targeted to your palate.
Firstleaf wine club:
The initial steps in the Firstleaf personalization process is that you answer a few simple questions and based on your answers, your introductory shipment is selected. After you have submitted feedback for the introductory shipment your profile is refined for each subsequent delivery. By rating all the wines that you receive from the club, you are ensuring that your future deliveries are increasingly matched to your profile.
The website and ordering process:
Both Winc and Firstleaf have very easy to follow subscription processes and websites that are easy to navigate.
Via the Winc website you can explore the wine selection available and find out about the club concept and their team. To begin, you create your palate profile, select your preferred type of box (red, white or mixed) and then create your account. Once you see your wine selection recommendation, you can edit your order until you are happy with your delivery. Winc also offers the option to skip a month whenever you do not want to receive a monthly order. Canceling your subscription is easy to do online or via their customer support team.
Via the Firstleaf website you can explore their range of wines and find out about the club and its team. To begin, you simply answer three simple questions to personalize your introductory shipment. Then you create your account, view your box, check if you want to change the type of shipment and then check out. Firstleaf usually ships within two to five days to the location of your choice and you can advise where your preferred delivery address is.
Please note that all wine deliveries require that someone 21+ is available to sign for the order at delivery.
As part of our extensive review process, at the Wine Club Review, we ensure that we try the wines of all the clubs that we review. This means our reviews are from first-hand experience and are completely unbiased. We enjoyed our tasting experiences with both Winc and Firstleaf.
Winc is a very casual and easy to use wine club. They have a list of over 100 hand-picked wines and their selection includes classic better-known wines along with more rare boutique vineyard creations.
Firstleaf has an expert team selecting a very diverse range of local and international wines. Their selection includes wines that have been recognized at international competitions to wines that are touted as the next up and coming hits in the wine industry. Firstleaf is very proud of the fact that they work directly with the wineries and as a result, can offer incredible prices of up to 30% – 60% lower than retail prices.
We really enjoyed our experiences with both Winc and FirstLeaf though in this instance our winner is FirstLeaf! Both clubs appeal to a very similar audience and provide an affordable wine club experience. However, we felt that Firstleaf offered a better value for money with its very attractive introductory box and their best-quality range of wines that are offered at impressively affordable prices. Bottom Line, all the wines we have tasted from our FirstLeaf delivery were really very good!