We write our honest review of each wine subscription plan or product, however, we might receive a commission or other compensation on the products we review to support this website. Prices can vary due to changes in promotions or policies. See our full disclosures here.
The Gold Medal Wine Club is here to introduce you to the best California wines!
The club offers many subscription options that differ in taste, style and price. One thing is common to all options – the wines are amazing! All wines are award-winning and highly rated, and all come from boutique family-owned wineries.
Introduction to Gold Medal Wine Club:
The Gold Medal Wine Club is one of the oldest in the wine club industry. It has over 25 years of experience of delivering only the best California wines.
The club specifically specializes in award-winning and highly rated wines. All of their wines that feature in their six different clubs have won top medals from major wine competitions or are highly rated by national wine publications.
Moreover, all the wines are part of small production batches from family-owned wineries, and they are typically not available in regular wine stores.
Who is it for?
The Gold Medal Wine Club is a great match for people who love discovering new wines and boutique wineries, and who have a specific preference for wines from California.
The club offers only award-winning and highly rated wines at very attractive prices. Prices vary, depending on the club you choose, but can be available at up to 40% OFF Winery Direct Prices!
The different club plans available:
- Gold wine club – includes two bottles of California’s best wines, all from small-production, family-owned wineries. Each month, you are guaranteed to receive two hard-to-find and awarded wines from Californian boutique wineries. This club is the most popular out of the six Gold Medal Wine Club options!
- Platinum wine club – the upper-level wine club. Features rare and even collectable wines from California’s top winemakers. All the wines in this club are highly scored with 90+ ratings and can include some pre-releases or exclusives that are available only to club members. This club is definitely pricier than other levels, but it also gives members the chance to taste true gems!
- International wine club – even though the Gold Medal Wine Club is focused on California wines, they do offer this exclusive international wine club, that offers to take you on an incredible tasting voyage around the globe. The international club offers three bottles per shipment and is focused on bringing you hard-to-find, imported premium wines, from hidden wine estates from Italy, Spain, France, Chile and more.
- Garagiste wine club – if you wish to explore under the radar wines from independent winemakers, then this club is just what you need! Garagiste is a phrase in French, used to describe independent winemakers who handcraft small batches of wine on their own, and that is just what you will receive! Two bottles of delicious, special and authentic wine gems that have been crafted in small batches by independent winemakers. These are wines that would be almost impossible to find anywhere else.
- Pinot noir wine club – if pinot is your passion; this wine club option is a no-brainer! This pinot exclusive wine club brings you two bottles of wine that include only the world’s best and most highly rated pinots, all from wineries focussed on boutique operations.
- Diamond wine club – this wine club, as its name suggests, offers you the best of the best wines – 93+ rated. The club is limited to 500 wine club members, and with each quarterly shipment, you are promised to receive two bottles of luxury premium wines, for the ultimate wine tasting experience. This club is super expensive, but if you are a true wine fanatic, you will love and appreciate what you get to taste with this club.
- Award-winning and highly rated wines only
- Best California wines, all from small-production, family-owned wineries
- A large variety of club selections that fit every taste and budget
- Membership Rewards Program, with up to 40% OFF Winery Direct Prices
- Enhanced wine tasting experience with a full-color publication that arrives with every shipment
- No obligations or monthly dues
The website and ordering process:
The Gold Medal wine club website is simple and very easy to navigate. The website offers you the option to join the wine club as part of a subscription or just as a one-off purchase. For each wine club option, you can choose the number of shipments you would like to receive or if you would like an ongoing subscription.
Alternatively, you can buy a delivery as a one-time purchase through their online store, and you can also send your loved ones a wine box as a special gift.
Ones you have added your wish list to the cart, you can check out. The wine box will arrive at your home based on the date you specified during the order process.
Every wine that the Gold Medal Wine Club features must meet strict selection criteria. These criteria include being the recipient of both multiple medals from major wine competitions and high ratings from national wine publications such as Wine Spectator, Wine Enthusiast, Wine & Spirits, and Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate. Robert Parker’s the Wine Advocate is perhaps the most significant influence on wine consuming habits and trends worldwide, with over 50,000 subscribers in the US alone and readers in over 37 countries around the globe! Every wine that the Gold Medal Wine Club features must have a minimum score of 88+ Points. This applies to all clubs except the Garagiste wine club, as most winemakers in this category choose not to have their wines rated. The Gold Medal wine club experts consider these wines to be in the 90+ point category.
We at the Wine Club Reviews take our job of reviewing wine clubs very seriously!
We order and taste wines from every wine club that we review, and that goes for Gold Medal Wine Club as well. We tried three of their six club offers, and we can honestly say we loved each of them! The gold wine club included two great wines. These were the Three Saints 2014 Pinot Noir, a blend from the Santa Barbara County winery and a 2014 Chardonnay from the Dierberg vineyard, that had some lovely and fresh citrusy tastes. This was a 93 point wine and was very light and fun to drink!
We also loved the international wine club box we received, that included 3 lovely wines from France, plus a gourmet adventure package, full of international goods!
We loved the Gold Medal Wine Club, and we honestly felt that they are focused on bringing true wine-gems to the table. All their wines are award-winning and highly rated wines, from boutique vineyards from California wine country, but they also offer a great international wine club.
The company boasts six great and exclusive wine club options, starting from relatively affordable wines to luxurious and expensive options. With the Gold Medal Wine Club, every wine lover can find something to please.